Bookfair starts Oct. 3 and continues throughout the week. Students may purchase books during school, online or at our Thursday evening event. Join us Thursday evening, Oct. 6 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. to purchase books and enjoy FREE hot dogs and ice cream!
Volunteers are needed! Please visit http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e45aba622a5f94-fall to sign up.
Tracey’s PTA is excited to announce that Tracey’s Elementary will be participating in the Apex Fun Run, an interactive program that helps schools all over the country raise money, while promoting leadership and fitness in the classroom. This September 6th-15th, Tracey’s Elementary students and teachers will join characters Tikes, Seeds, Specs, Jazz, and Wheels through the pages of their legendary adventure in search of the hidden treasure of J.J. Cortez. Along the way, Tracey’s students will discover what it truly means to be a Legendary Leader:
- Never quit
During the Apex Fun Run, students are challenged to get pledges for the laps they will run on September 15th to help their school. Students will run for 30 minutes and average 26-36 laps, with the maximum amount being 36 (each lap is 1/16th of a mile). Sponsors can pledge $1, $2, $5, or any other amount for each lap students run. All participants will receive an access code that allows you to enter pledges online. Funds raised this year will be going to the PTA to pay for enrichment programs such as field trips, Science Fair, and assemblies.
The Apex Fun Run is for every student regardless of financial giving. All students will receive Apex bands, race-day lap counters, and team awards. We invite all parents to come to the Apex Fun Run and share in the great event! The times for the run are as follows:
Grades 4 and 5: 9:45am – 10:30am
Grades 2 and 3: 10:45am – 11:30am
Grades K and 1: 1:30pm – 2:15pm
You can help Tracey’s PTA be successful in the following four ways:
- Help connect your child to potential sponsors (family/friends) to acquire pledges. Visit apexfunrun.com and enter your child’s access code found in their pledge kit.
- Ask your child about the “Legend” character lessons, and download the “Apex Fun Run” app!
- Come to the Apex Fun Run, and don’t forget to invite others to attend our fun-filled community event on our field.
- Help volunteer for the race! We need a few parents to help cheer on students and mark laps. If you would like to volunteer for your student’s race, please contact Ellen Neill at email@example.com for more information.
Thank you again for your support! We are so excited to begin this journey with you!
WELCOME BACK and WELCOME ABOARD!
Welcome Back to Tracey’s Elementary School students, teachers and families.
Welcome Aboard to all the new students, teachers and families joining us this 2016-2017 school year.
We are excited about all of the events and programs we have planned this year for our Tracey’s Tigers!
Our goals this year include
- Increase our communication with families and teachers
- Make it easier to sign up to volunteer online
- Have a fun-filled school year with many exciting activities
From Jack Neill, CAC Representative for SoCo elementary schools:
The CAC held our monthly meeting last week and here are the highlights:Committee Reports – The CAC subcommittees reported on their findings and recommendations that will be forwarded to the School Board next month. The attached meeting minutes contains more detail on each committee. If you are interested in any of these issues, please let me know and I will connect you with the members of the subcommittee.
- Communications – Evaluated the district, school, and PTA websites and compiled a list of PTA and local group leaders for further communication.
- Equity – Studied the achievement gap and district efforts to address it.
- Curriculum and Grading – Worked with policy group on the “re-do” grading policy.
- Testing – Explored available information related to testing at all grade levels.
- School Supplies – Compiled all school supply lists to evaluate disparity and variation of required items by school.
Budget News – Raises for teachers?The big news in the budget cycle was the announcement that the County Executive has included money in the county budget for teacher raises and additional capital funds for construction. AACPS released a statement detailing the items that were included and excluded from the County Executive’s budget. Now the proposed budget goes to the County Council who has the opportunity to modify the details before approving and sending back to the school board in June. There are two public Budget hearings this week: Monday 5/9 at North County HS, and 5/12 at Annapolis HS.CAC Position Open for Secondary SchoolsThere’s an opportunity to volunteer to serve on the CAC as the representative for the Southern Cluster Secondary schools (Southern High School and Southern Middle). The time commitment is minimal, one meeting a month and then ad-hoc tasks as needed. If you know anyone who is interested, please share this link or direct them to me for more information.
Tracey’s PTA would like to remind students and families to please collect Box Tops for Education over the summer to earn free money for our school! The PTA will use the money raised from Box Tops to help pay for many Tracey’s Elementary activities, field trips, books & supplies for teachers, family events and more. Cut out your Box Tops all summer long, then bring them back to school with you in August to help your class and grade win cool prizes like Pizza Parties, Ice Cream, pencils & erasers, games and more! Plus, winning classes get bragging rights for being Box Top Collecting Champs next Fall!